The walk to Flour Bakery was very long...but well worth it.
We looked over the menu online before heading to the bakery so we knew exactly what we wanted.Jeff ordered the roast beef with horseradish, crispy onions & tomato. He said it was very tasty.
I ordered the grilled roast chicken with brie, arugula, roasted red peppers & caramelized onions.....so I thought!!! As I was eating the first half of the sandwich I thought to myself...where the hell is the brie???? I couldn't remember the other ingredients....but I was expecting brie. Then I realized I received the roast chicken with guacamole and jicama. I was soooooooooooooooooo upset. I was on the verge of crying. The girl obviously didn't hear me say GRILLED. They really shouldn't have two sandwiches so closely related - roast chicken and grilled roast chicken. Seriously....I still enjoyed the sandwich....but not as much as I would have enjoyed brie, arugula, roasted red peppers and caramelized onions.

And I ordered a sticky bun. I can't say that I am a huge sticky bun fan to begin with, but I thought I should try the bun that outdid Bobby Flay in a throwdown.
(and I wonder why I didn't actually lose weight with all the walking we did.....)
Next on the agenda - tour of the Harpoon Brewery. It was a great experience and they had some really good beers on tap, that we were able to sample during the 30 minute tasting of the tour.
During the tour, we were able to taste beer that was almost ready. It was nasty....

We took the T to Somerville for dinner at RedBones BBQ in Davis Square. It was another small place where everyone was sitting on top of each other, it was a total hole it the wall, but had a great feel.
The crowd starting forming and we got there just in time to score two seats at the bar (which sat 6 people) in front of the cooks. There were 5 guys packed into such a small space. It was fun to watch them.
We were super excited to see fried pickles on the menu, which is one of our favorite appetizers. The drinks were served in large mason jars. So fun!
Jeff ordered ribs.....which he really couldn't enjoy because those nachos weren't sitting too well with him. Hmm...I wonder why?
I ordered Beef Brisket...which I had never had before. Thought I would try something different. It was nothing spectacular and I thought it was lacking in flavor. The fries needed salt, but the black eyed peas were yummy. I had not had black eyed peas since living at home! The cornbread was just okay and the bbq was not impressive.
After dinner we headed to Cheers for a drink. It ended up pouring while we were there and we had to take a cab back to the hotel.
Next on the agenda - tour of the Harpoon Brewery. It was a great experience and they had some really good beers on tap, that we were able to sample during the 30 minute tasting of the tour.Almost every day, we passed a place called Beantown Pub just a block from our hotel. And every time I walked by it, I couldn't help buy notice the weird smell that came from the vent. Well, after the brewery we wanted a quick bite to eat and thought, what the heck, let's try the pub.
Hands down, the worst place ever. It was so nasty and dirty inside. The wait staff was not so pleasant and the food was absolutely horrible.
We ordered nachos with chili. Let me talk about the "chili" for a second. The chili consisted of ground beef, tomato paste/sauce, a few kidney beans and diced onions. There was no flavor, what so ever. The worst chili ever.
Note the random kalamata olive on the very top. Really????
As we headed to the hotel, walking down the side walk I looked at the guy approaching me and swore it was Jimmy Falon. I mean....it looked just like him. So I call out to Jeff and said that was Jimmy Falon! That was JIMMY FALON!!!! Jeff not believing me convinced me that there is no way Jimmy Falon would a) be in Boston and b) walk down the street by himself. So...I let it go. The next morning, Jeff read Twitter and guess what....Jimmy Falon was in Boston at Northeastern University that day. It was Jimmy Falon!!! I literally brushed shoulders with him. I could have said hi and got a picture with him. But no....................!!!!!!!!!!! Celebrity sighting # 2!
Anyways, at some point during the day, Jeff's knee started hurting so we laid low at the hotel for a while so he could get some relief. I think the walk to Flour Bakery did him in. Needless to say, the pain got worse and we ended up at the Dr. on Monday to find out he has tendinitis. EEK!
During dinner at Neptune Oyster, we received a recommendation from the couple next to us. I had enough lobster (did I really just say that???) and it was time for something different. They asked if we were interested in BBQ and we thought BBQ in Boston???? Sure.....we'll give it a try.
We took the T to Somerville for dinner at RedBones BBQ in Davis Square. It was another small place where everyone was sitting on top of each other, it was a total hole it the wall, but had a great feel.
The crowd starting forming and we got there just in time to score two seats at the bar (which sat 6 people) in front of the cooks. There were 5 guys packed into such a small space. It was fun to watch them.
We were super excited to see fried pickles on the menu, which is one of our favorite appetizers. The drinks were served in large mason jars. So fun!
Jeff ordered ribs.....which he really couldn't enjoy because those nachos weren't sitting too well with him. Hmm...I wonder why?

I ordered Beef Brisket...which I had never had before. Thought I would try something different. It was nothing spectacular and I thought it was lacking in flavor. The fries needed salt, but the black eyed peas were yummy. I had not had black eyed peas since living at home! The cornbread was just okay and the bbq was not impressive.

Overall......THE SOUTH DOES IT BETTER! Bottom line!
However, RedBones had a great atmosphere and the food was good....not great.....but good. I think I would have like ribs better than the brisket.
After dinner we headed to Cheers for a drink. It ended up pouring while we were there and we had to take a cab back to the hotel.
Our trip was wonderful and a great way to celebrate our 4th anniversary. I can't wait to visit Boston again!!!!!


2 comments:
Sorry they screwed up your sandwich. I've had the one with avocado and fennel though and it was quite good.
Was the sticky bun good at least??
Post a Comment