Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Boston - Day 3

On the third day of our trip, we had nothing planned other than shop, explore and eat.

We started off by walking through Boston Commons and taking in the beauty. I love the Willow trees.

Then, we walked to what we thought was the South End and realized we didn't know where we were going so we turned around and headed to Beacon Hill. On the way we found some great streets lined with brown stones. Oh to live here....



This corner reminded me of a scene from Fever Pitch. I doubt it is the same block since every other block in this area looks like this...


Of course, I had to go by the Real World Fire House again (because Boston was my all time favorite season!). I visited here in 2006 and even ventured inside, which is now a community center. The girl working tried to tell me the room she was sitting in was the confessional. I didn't have the heart to correct her...but she was wrong. She was sitting in the phone room. Duh!



I really wanted to have lunch at The Paramount (which the Real World cast frequented). But after standing in line for a few minutes we realized they were still serving breakfast at 11 a.m. and it would be a bit before they started serving lunch. Not to mention that place was insanely crowded, very small and we were afraid we would never get a seat if we went back.

After strolling down Charles Street we stumbled across Artu which is another place I saw on Real World Boston. We sat in front of that window which was eye level with the sidewalk.


We both ordered Panini - Jeff had chicken Parmesan and I had mozzarella, tomato and basil. I was not impressed. These were no panini's I had ever seen.....



After lunch we took a really long walk from Beacon Hill down to what appeared to be Little Italy to have a cannoli at Modern Pastry.

Oh Dear God.....I was in heaven!

The ricotta filling in this cannoli was the creamiest I had ever tasted. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!
While we were there I spotted a lobster tail and had to try it. I recently learned about the lobster tail watching Cake Boss (one of our new favorite shows, btw).

The lobster tail must have weighed 2 lbs.... I snacked on this pasty for two full days and still threw out a big portion of it!
I can't describe the yummy goodness inside! Pastry cream......!!!!

I have no shame...I dug right in!

Again, Laura and Nai recommended a fabulous restaurant - Neptune Oyster.

We walked inside and this place was no bigger than our living room. A gorgeous bar lines one side of the wall and tables along the other side .

We were sat next to a lovely local couple from Somerville and we soon became friends because we were sitting at the same table!! No privacy what-so-ever. I immediately felt uncomfortable, but after Jeff broke the ice with them it was no biggie. Jeff & I were able to have our own personal conversation and we chatted with them at other times.

We both ordered the $25.00 lobster roll - mine was cold, Jeff's hot. They were both divine. They do not skimp on the lobster either......this roll was filled with large chunks of lobster meat and was wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite. The french fries were very good as well. The bread was nothing to write home about though...

Served hot with butter.......

Served cold.......
A very happy Melissa!!!!

You know how we ended the third night in Boston.....

Stay tuned for Day 4 and our return home.

3 comments:

John said...

Modern Pastry is the bomb.

Anonymous said...

I missed this entry!! So glad you went to Modern. They are known for their cannoli. And I think the lobster tail is also called sfgiotelle. Not sure if I spelled it right, but they talked about them a lot on the Sopranos. There's a recipe in the Martha Stewart Baking Handbook.

Anonymous said...

How'd you miss the South End?? I'm telling you, you would have died in those pet shops I told you about.
And those are panini??? they look like subs. Gross.
Paramount is suppose to have a great (and greasy) breakfast. I've heard good things about it.