Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Themed Game Night

This month, Jeff and I hosted game night at our place. I decided to make a Thanksgiving themed dinner - turkey breast, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, rolls and salad.

For an appetizer, I made my baked brie.

It is so easy to make. This is what you need:
  • 1 sheet puff pastry
  • 1 wheel brie
  • lemon
  • rosemary
  • egg (for egg wash)
I used a cake leveler to evenly slice the wheel of brie (brilliant, I know). Squeeze a wedge of lemon on one side and add rosemary (to taste).

Place the wheel on a slightly rolled out sheet of puff pastry and wrap up.

Brush with egg wash.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes and serve with crackers. It never fails that my baked brie leaks.
For dessert I spotted Ina Garten's Pumpkin Banana Mousse Tart in the latest issue of Food Network Magazine and just had to try it. Now, the link says that this recipe is easy, but I beg to differ. It is a little challenging because of all the steps....which I will not go into detail on this post. I will say that I managed to eff it up by adding too much sugar in one of the steps (because I picked up the sugar measurement in the next step) and it turned out way too sweet. Aside from the 4 slices we ate, the tart was thrown out :(


A lot of people have told me about the game Apples to Apples. Have you played? If not, go buy the game. You won't regret it. It is such a great game and we will definitely play it again during our game nights.

1 comment:

BevB said...

I think I've only done one brie that didn't leak. May a leaky brie be the worst thing that ever happens to us. LOL. I figure that's the cooking god's way of saying "look how good the inside is! just taste it!"
Too bad about the mousse tart. Will you try it again sans extra sugar or was it more work than it was worth?