Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Since heart day was on a Sunday this year, I made a tray of cookies for work that I took in on Friday. A co-worker gave me a box set of Martha Stewart heart cutters last year and had a chance to use this.


Jeff & I typically do not give into the Hallmark holiday, but this year we did.

Every Sunday, I roll out of bed and go to Publix to get a Sunday paper and Dunkin Donuts for coffee. However, this morning, we enjoyed an ever so romantical breakfast of munchkins, coffee and chocolate milk while reading through the circulars.

Like total cheeseballs, we gave into the holiday by going to see a matinee of Valentine's Day...along with every other couple in Jacksonville. It wasn't the best movie, nor the worst movie. It was....okay. With so many famous people it's hard to not want to see it!


We took the girls for a walk when we got home and soaked up the perfect Florida day! Then, I was ready for quality time in the kitchen.

I received this cookbook for my birthday last year and to be honest, was a little intimidated by the recipes. Not to mention, the recipes feed an army! But, I pulled it out and was determined to make the one recipe that I have been dying to try since I received it - Chocolate Soup.


The garnish for the chocolate soup are toasted pound cake croutons. Since the book included a recipe I decided to not cheat and buy a premade pound cake. It was my first time making pound cake and it was a success.
This recipe makes two loaves of pound cake!!!! I didn't realize this until after I made the batter or I would have cut the recipe in half!

I cut the croutons in the shape of hearts using cookie cutters.....aww....

Prepping the croutons with butter and cinnamon/sugar before toasting....

Yes, that is a Vday apron I am wearing :)



Next, I started on dinner......Frittata with asparagus, tomato and fontina cheese (from Everyday Italian.

Perfection!
A shot of our lovely table scape.

After dinner I made the chocolate soup. Holy Ganache is all I have to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be prepared....be very prepared before making this. It is so rich and amazing that a few sips is all you need. And I cut the recipe in half....not only would the chocolate needed for the full recipe cost a fortune, but I would have needed to have a party in order to serve this recipe.
The soup reminded me of the hot chocolate I had at Hot Chocolate in Chicago last May.
The chocolate soup before it was "dressed" up....

Soup with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream and a pound cake crouton.

If you would like the recipe for the pound cake and/or chocolate soup, please post a comment with your email address and I can send it to you.

I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

KaitBakes said...

Those all sound delicious! Looks like your valentines day was fabulous! I would love the recipe for both, if you don't mind.
kholdstein@gmail.com

BevB said...

All I can say is Wow! I think I gained 3 #s just looking at the goodies.
I read at Laura's blog that Elliot's limping is worse. I'm so sorry to hear it. Hope the vet can come up with some happier news.

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I *so* want to try that chocolate soup!!! My sister had that book...I may need to steal it from her. :)

Farrah said...

I just bought Sticky Chewy Messy Gooey a week ago and cannot wait to try out the recipes. The pictures are stunning. BTW nice blog!