This month's Flavor of the Month is in honor of John Hughes. He wrote some of the most famous 80's movies - 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off...the list goes on.
So, this month we are making something pink.
Easy enough, right?
After reading many blog posts about cake balls, I decided it was time to give them a try...and will make them pink.
Also, I will not reference cake balls, instead they will be called cake bites.
This is the third Flavor of the Month and I am seeing a pattern. Something is bound to go wrong.
I followed the instructions to a T. I mean...they aren't that hard. But, I managed to make a simple recipe difficult. Oh well....I managed to make enough bites presentable for pictures!! :)
Ingedients:
1 Cake Mix
1 Can of Frosting
Candy Melts
Mix/bake according to box instructions. Let cool, then crumble into pieces.
Maybe this is the point where I went wrong....the cake concoction appeared to be rather moist....which made it difficult to "set up" for dipping.
It did not occur to me to look for pink candy melts, which I am sure exists, instead I used food coloring to make it pink.

Then, dip round bites into melted candy and voila.....cake bites. I topped mine with pink sprinkles.
Yumm!

Okay, truth be told...the dipping of the cake into the melted candy is easier said than done. Using a toothpick, most of the balls crumbled and this is what I dealth with. Not to mention the melted candy was thick.....not dipping consistency at all! I have no shame.....I will show you the truth!! :)
Then, dip round bites into melted candy and voila.....cake bites. I topped mine with pink sprinkles.
Okay, truth be told...the dipping of the cake into the melted candy is easier said than done. Using a toothpick, most of the balls crumbled and this is what I dealth with. Not to mention the melted candy was thick.....not dipping consistency at all! I have no shame.....I will show you the truth!! :)


12 comments:
Melissa! They are so pretty! I really wouldn't mind eating that glob of cake bites, either! ;) More mistakes, more for the baker, I think!
Two tips that have helped me IMMENSELY when making cake balls, er, bites....
1. Add only about 3/4 of a can of frosting
2. Add a 1/2 tsp to a tsp of shortening to the melted candy melts. Stir until incorporated. This thins it out and makes it easier to work with.
Are you joining us for pumpkin?
I love cake balls! They're the perfect size for sneaking snacks that you don't want your little ones to know about!!
Love the pink. They're beautiful!
Well, personally I like to call them cake balls.
I tried making them and it was a disaster. I didn't even make it to the dipping part. I used scratch baked cake and hated the taste.
Perhaps these are best made with cake mix???
anyway, your balls look super pretty with the sugar!!
I wouldn't be ashamed to eat a cake ball blob!! Those look yummy! I may have to give that a try
They look yummy... and me or my children would love to have the blobs ;) I don't know what is wrong with me and Flavor of the Month, I still can't make it :( you are doing great, though!
Thanks to all!
Bridget, I will definitely join in the pumpkin fun. Also...I used your trick with the shortening and no luck. I gave the cake bites another shot over the weekend and they were an absolute hit at work. Still had trouble dipping though...
These are so cute! I love cake balls - er, bites. :-)
I think they turned out real cute. I tried making these too and the first batch was great but the second was much more difficult. Here's a few tips from what I learned from it:
make sure the cake is COOL before mixing with frosting and crumbling. This made the BIGGEST difference in mine. You cannot skip the freezer part. Make sure you melt the chocolate very slowly, if chocolate gets too hot it's a mess. And I also had to add some shortening to mine the second time. I think I used a different brand because I didn't need it the first time around. Use a slotted spoon to dip the bites in the chocolate with or you can buy the plastic dippers made my Wilton in your cake decorating aisle. They are yummy!!
I think they turned out real cute. I tried making these too and the first batch was great but the second was much more difficult. Here's a few tips from what I learned from it:
make sure the cake is COOL before mixing with frosting and crumbling. This made the BIGGEST difference in mine. You cannot skip the freezer part. Make sure you melt the chocolate very slowly, if chocolate gets too hot it's a mess. And I also had to add some shortening to mine the second time. I think I used a different brand because I didn't need it the first time around. Use a slotted spoon to dip the bites in the chocolate with or you can buy the plastic dippers made my Wilton in your cake decorating aisle. They are yummy!!
They look great!! I've always wanted to try making them. Thanks for sharing.
I've never made these before, but have wanted to. Thanks for the truth so I know what I'm getting into when I attempt it. The bites that turned out look fabulous all dressed up in pink - worth the fatalities involved!
These are gorgeous! I'll have to try making these one day. :D
Post a Comment